Students will establish an understanding of who they are and what distinguishes them from those around them.
Students will learn the value of respect for others.
Students will learn how differences can create positive relationships between themselves and others.
• Venn Diagram Graphic Organizer
• Ask students to choose three people who are in their lives to describe. Have each student create a separate 'mind map' for each
person. Draw a picture of the person in the center and, using lines from the center, write or draw three unique qualities that person
has. Explain the word diversity and reinforce the idea that our unique qualities in life create diversity in our class, school and the
• Have the students complete the Venn Diagram Handout placing themselves in one circle and one person they
select from their Mind Maps in the second circle. The second person does not have to be a classmate. The student’s own unique
qualities will go in the first circle, the unique qualities of the person you’re comparing with will go in the second circle and the
qualities they have in common will go in the center where the circles overlap.
• Ask students to stand up and share their Venn Diagrams about the people they chose. After each student has shared, reinforce the
idea of uniqueness and diversity in our classroom, our community and the world.
• Did anything you learned surprise you?
• If you know what qualities you share with another person, could that help you to understand them better?